Connect with OB
- Strong showing by the 2nd years so far @ the Owen Olympics #OwenOlympics http://t.co/shoi47wFzr about 1 month ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @VanderbiltOwen: Thoughts and prayers are with Kevin White (MBA'10) and family who were severely injured in #BostonMarathon bombing h ... about 1 month ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Owen dames & partners supporting the mens first year softball team http://t.co/QlxyhSOWRe about 1 month ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Category Archives: Uncategorized
Top 5 Reasons to Use LinkedIn Mobile
1) You’re walking to your networking coffee and you’re not sure who to look for. Log on to the mobile app and search for their name, most likely you’ll get a small headshot to help you identify them at Starbucks.
2) It’s Discovery Weekend at Owen, or Alumni Weekend, or any other big event and you don’t want to forget that last person you met. Go into the app and add them as a connection! You may not be able to personalize the message, but at least you won’t forget them.
3) You’re in class and the professor is asking about what happened in the news relevant to strategy/ leadership/ finance that week. Seriously, LinkedIn today will help you sound way smarter than we all know you already are.
4) Then share that latest and greatest with your network, perhaps they’re in the next section of class, or maybe they’re your next employer either way – share your insights!
5) You just got your interview schedule (it starts in 30 minutes) and you don’t know half the people on the list. Hit up the app to do some quick research about your interviewers’ backgrounds and gain insights to what they might be looking for from you. By the way, I just used this in my most recent interview!
All Hallow’s Eve is a spirited event around Owen, with activities ranging from a scary movie showing in Averbuch Auditorium, to an all-school Halloween party (which featured two Fred Flintstones, the case of Sesame Street, and Wilson from Home Improvement, among many others). Over the past week, though, a contest has been sponsored by 100% Owen, the school’s community service organization. Students were given the opportunity to ‘vote’, by donating money to charity, for an Owen professor to wear a Halloween costume to class on October 31. The people spoke, and the majority vote-getter was Managerial Econ professor Luke Froeb. Professor Froeb made economics even scarier than usual as his alter-ego, Freddy Krueger:
Business school has its serious moments, but sometimes it’s the goofy moments that make for a memorable class, and raise some money for a good cause to boot.
It’s officially recruiting season at Owen, not just for the second years but also for first years, and with that comes the necessary networking with alumni. There are many tools available to business student for networking, but I want to tell you a little bit more about how you can use LinkedIn to find alumni that might be able to help you in your job search.
Starting at on your LinkedIn home page, hover over ‘Contacts’ then select a school, for instance Vanderbilt. This will take you to the LinkedIn Alumni Tool which should look something like this:
This starting point will show you people in your network that were with you at that school. However you can change this to look for people that were there outside of that timeframe by editing the dates right under the university name. I would recommend choosing something like 1900 and clicking on the ‘Include people with no dates’ to ensure that you get the full set of alumni.
You can also change the school to be more specific, for instance by clicking on the ‘Change School’ button you can type the name of the business program (‘Owen Graduate School of Management’) and narrow your focus that way.